Equatorial Guinea’s former anti-corruption chief, Baltasar Engonga, has been sentenced to eight years in prison following a scandal that shocked the country late last year.
The Bioko provincial court on August 27, 2025, found Engonga guilty of misappropriating public travel expenses and abusing his office while serving as Director-General of the National Financial Investigation Agency (ANIF). In addition to the jail term, he was ordered to pay a fine of$220,000.
Court officials said: “Baltasar Ebang Engonga has been sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment for embezzlement. He is further ordered to pay the equivalent of 220,000 dollars as restitution.”
Engonga’s downfall began in November 2024, when he was sacked by presidential decree after the leak of more than 400 explicit videos showing him in sexual encounters with women, some allegedly relatives of senior officials, recorded in offices, hotels, and private homes. The Presidency at the time said: “Mr. Engonga has been dismissed from his post with immediate effect following grave misconduct incompatible with public office.”
Following his dismissal, he was detained at Black Beach Prison and charged with corruption, embezzlement, and illicit enrichment. Prosecutors said during the trial: “He abused public funds, diverted travel allowances for personal gain, and misused the resources of the state. The amount embezzled exceeds 910 million CFA francs, and the accused must be held accountable.”
Engonga initially faced up to 18 years in jail, with prosecutors pressing for combined sentences covering embezzlement, corruption, and sexual misconduct linked to the scandal.
Civil society groups described the revelations as a watershed moment. One anti-corruption activist in Malabo told reporters:
“The Engonga case exposes the depth of impunity in our institutions. If even the head of the financial investigation agency can misuse his power in this way, the credibility of the entire system is at stake.”
The scandal shocked Equatorial Guinea, not only for its political implications but for its sensational details. A government source confirmed last year: “Over 400 videos were discovered, filmed without authorisation, many involving women with connections to top government circles. The scale of the misconduct was unprecedented.”
After his conviction this week, a Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: “This ruling demonstrates the government’s commitment to combating corruption and protecting the dignity of public institutions. No official, regardless of rank, is above the law.”
Engonga remains in custody at Black Beach, where he has been held since his arrest. With his conviction finalised, he is expected to serve his full sentence unless a presidential pardon is granted.
Boluwatife Enome
The post Baltasar Engonga: Former Equatorial Guinea Anti-Graft Czar Jailed Eight Years Over Sex Tape, Embezzlement Scandal appeared first on Arise News.