At least 21 people have died in north-central Nigeria after heavy rains destroyed their homes on Thursday. Local emergency officials report that nearly a dozen people are still missing.
Ibrahim Hussaini, head of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, told Reuters that 50 houses were submerged in water in two communities within the state.
“Twenty-one bodies have so far been recovered in the incident, while over 10 persons were still missing as the search and rescue operation continued,” Hussaini said.
Nigeria is susceptible to flooding during its rainy season, which began in April.